Industry Chat: Why brands must explore alternative search technologies with SitePlug
Today, 93% of all purchases start with an online search. This consumer behaviour, together with modern marketing tools that enhance user experience, makes search engines an important tool for marketeers to meet customer demands. With 4,66 billion users undertaking online search multiple times a day, search engines have undoubtedly become the internet’s driving force. Google, with its 92% market share, leads the search industry. However, the massive scale of the overall user base makes the remaining 8% users a segment that marketeers cannot afford to ignore.
Our expert on this issue: Bharat Sharma – SitePlug
Why alternative search marketing?
Alternative search marketing techniques enable brands to engage with these users and convert them into customers. Here’s how they deliver improvements over conventional search tools:
· Incremental reach to marketeers: Google’s result pages suffer from the presence of competitor ads that distract users away from a brand. On the contrary, marketeers are shifting towards search engines like Qwant and DuckDuckGo that facilitate zero-distraction purchase journeys. This protects brands from being negatively affected by competitor ads and thereby translates into better conversions.
· Enabling user convenience: Brands can emerge more accessible to users by leveraging tools on alternative search engines. This is achieved by enabling users to skip the search page and land them directly on their desired brand page. The enhanced purchase journey improves the user experience and reduces the churn rate – a win-win for buyers as well as for brands.
· Managing risk: A single search engine strategy may not help brands to meet all their marketing goals. Instead, it makes sense to diversify marketing efforts across a host of alternative search engines and, thereby, improve its reach to a wider range of users.
· Capturing niche segments: Depending on their preference, a specific set of users opts to use a certain search engine. For example, eco-conscious internet users prefer to use Ecosia or Cactus Search. Partnering with different search engines unlocks access to high-intent purchasers within these large-size specific segments.
How can brands grow with alternative search marketing?
The way users search is undergoing a rapid change with the greater adoption of mobile phones and voice search. While the online search continues to evolve, it is worthy to understand when brands must embrace various search engines. A few instances are:
· Widening the brand’s reach: As users choose different search engines to know more about products, it is imperative for brands to accompany buyers in their purchase journeys. An untapped search engine may cause a brand to lose precious leads, thus adversely affecting its bottom line.
· Ensuring a multichannel presence: To ensure long-term success, brands must engage with their target groups. An effective way to achieve this is to be present on various search engines. Marketeers could also use these engines’ analytical tools to understand where to focus their efforts to attain the best conversions.
How can brands leverage new-age products for alternate search?
Brands can achieve heightened customer convenience by supplementing their search engine marketing with innovative products. For example, Site Suggest is an excellent product whose algorithm identifies a user’s input in a search box and recommends the most relevant brand’s website to the consumer, thus bypassing competitor ads on search pages.
Tradedoubler is yet another player that shines in the affiliate marketing domain. Its strong affiliate network allows marketeers to explore innovative formats that drive incremental sales for the brands. This helps in optimizing marketing efforts and delivering a high Return on Advertising Spend (ROAS).
What kind of results can brands see with alternative search?
Alternative search engines provide a commendable average conversion rate of over 10%. The top-performing verticals and their average conversation rates are as follows:
· Finance (17.36%)
· Food & Beverages (14.02%)
· Shopping (10.41%)
Shopping brands have generated impressive sales of more than $40 Mln through alternative search engines.
Thus, a strategy that combines alternative search engines with new-age products promises to deliver an edge over competitors. Its ability to help brands to be present on diverse channels is a step in the right direction considering the evolving nature of online search.
SitePlug drives incremental sales from high intent users by leveraging the power of search and content.
SitePlug is trusted by leading brands and agencies across the globe and has partnerships with over 60K+ publishers. With its propriety products, SitePlug is currently delivering over a billion dollars in incremental sales for its brand partners. To know more, please visit our website.